Our practice provides for the immediate evaluation of chest pain and related conditions such as shortness of breath, palpitations and syncope, by a board certified cardiologist. We utilize state of the art equipment and cutting edge technology for the benefit of our patients.
A thallium stress test, or nuclear stress test, is used to show how well blood flows to the heart muscle.
What does a stress test determine?
Stress tests determine:
1) The extent of any coronary artery blockages.
2) The cause of chest pain.
3) The heart funtioning of those individuals who have had heart attacks in the past.
4) The effectiveness of cardiac procedures done to improve the circulation in the coronary arteries, inclduing stent placement and ballooning.
5) The level of exercise that a person with or without heart disease can safely perform.
The test takes 1.5-3 hours, during which you will remain in the building.
Do NOT eat or drink anything 4 hours before
NO caffeine for 24 hours before
Do NOT take medications the day of the test
Do NOT use body lotion
Avoid metal on clothing
Wear shoes and clothing you can walk in
Wear a button down if possible
Bring water and a snack with you
Bring a jacket and something to do
Stress Test Preparation
An echocardiogram is a test that uses ultrasound waves to look at the heart. This test is effective, non-invasive, and accurate in detecting a variety of heart conditions.
Why should you have an echocardiogram?
Echocardiograms assess for a variety of conditons including:
1) The presence of heart failure by determining heart size, pumping strength, and the presence of any damaged heart muscle.
2) Presence of any valvular disease including the inability of the valves to open or close completely, leakage through the valve once it has closed, or any structural abnormalities associated with the valves.
3) Detection of other problems including: congenital heart disease, pericarditis, pericardial effusion, and endocarditis.
There is no preparation for this 30 minute examination. The patient needs to simply show up at their scheduled time. This procedure is painless and involves no risks.
The modern medical practice of telecardiology allows patients who have trouble getting to the doctor's office to continue seeing the doctor, without actually seeing him. Many issues among our patients can be solved through telecardiology, without the hassle of coming in!